The California Drug Testing Employer Reference Guide
California employers have the right to maintain a drug and alcohol-free workplace, including the ability to prohibit the possession, use, cultivation, and distribution of drugs in the workplace. To make this a little more challenging, the State’s Constitution recognizes a right to privacy and protection for citizens from unreasonable searches. Courts have ruled that a drug test is certainly a type of search and therefore, any drug testing program or individual test must be deemed “reasonable.”
It is unlawful for California employers to discriminate against applicants/employees for the use of cannabis off the job and away from the workplace and they are prohibited from requesting information from job applicants during the hiring process regarding prior use of cannabis.
At fpSOLUTIONS, we know how to turn compliance challenges into solutions.
Our California Drug Testing Employer Reference Guide is a comprehensive, fully updated tool designed to enable employers to remain compliant with California drug testing laws. The toolkit includes:
- Extensive background and insights on federal, state and local drug testing frameworks;
- A special focus on new protections under state cannabis testing laws;
- Different types of drug testing and guidelines on preemployment testing and testing during employment;
- A special focus on Reasonable Suspicion;
- A special focus on Department of Transportation considerations;
- Templates, Model Policies, Sample Letters, Forms and more.
Our California Drug Testing Employer Reference Guide will help you better assess and maintain the health of your workplace.